Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Day Four. Color andCrop


Three baby birds still in the nest. Two of the birds have skin turning darker and one birds skin is remaining pale. I don't know the cause of the color change or what it indicates about the bird but I like to suspect that should the birds reach maturity two of them will have green and brown feathers while one will be a yellow bird. The daddy birds mother was, after all, yellow.
If you look carefuly at the photo you can see the lighter colored bird on the left and a cream colored patch on its neck. This took me by surprise. I didn't know what it was a first and thought it must be some horrible infection. But, after finding a simmilar mark on the other birds I now suspect it is their crop (a sack in the esophagus where food is softened before proceeding to the stomach)

2 comments:

Whiskey said...

I can't even distinguish the different birds! I mean, I can see tufts of stuff that looks like it probably belongs to a bird, but I can't tell where the bird stops and the nest starts. Can you really see a cream colored patch on one of these birds in this picture?

Ladybird said...

Yea, it is easier for me having seen them in person and knowing what to look for. Locate the ring of fluf around a circular brown patch. This chick is very pios and has already declared his intention to be a monk. The bald spot is the tonsure on the top of his head. Just to the left of that is another bird and a yellow/creamy patch of skin on its neck(the crop)