Saturday, April 11, 2009

Crime and Punishment

I finished reading Dostoyevski's Crime and Punishment Yesterday. Wow! What a terrific book I had started reading it over ten years ago. Even after a second attempt a few years later I never finishing because the oppressive beginning the story makes. Perhaps I was too young and proud at that time to appreciate the masterful description of sinful man. Perhaps when I am even older and humbler I should read it again. 
My finishing of this novel is a timely one.  On the day commemorating man’s redemption by sacrificial love even my novel proclaims the good news; man can journey from death to newness of life.

Wikipedia claims Dostoyevski despised mathematics. I know of at least two readers who share his  sympathies on this point.
The Brothers Karamazov (not to be confused with another favorite, but not a novel, Flying Karamazov Brothersremains my favorite novel of all time but Crime and Punishment will now take its place in my list of the best.

No comments: