I am no Latin scholar but I do like to review the gospel's Latin translation to add breadth, depth and slowness to my prayerful reading of these familiar texts. Occasionally, a Latin word or phrase will resonate in my soul.
Wonder surrounds the resurrection accounts in the gospel. One point of wonder is the mysterious messengers at the tomb clothed in white. I wonder what those white clothed figures looked like. Artists of various media through the centuries has tackled this subject but the glory of the event is illusive. (I am grateful for recommendations of poetry on the subject of the resurrection.)
Yesterday, I was struck by "candida", that latin word for white used in this passage in the Nova Vulgata. The English cognate "candid"comes to mind with all its frankness. The phrase: "Let me be candid with you." suggests openness, but not always the kind that is easy to hear. For the chief priests in Jerusalem in Jesus' day this was certainly the case. Only a humble man wants to stand to be in the presence of the candid.
Furthermore, only the humble man will "coopertum stola candida". Do we not receive such a white garment at our baptism when we are adopted as sons and daughters of the King? In the West the garment of the newly baptized has been reduced to a stole, sash about the neck, but the Eastern Churches still wear a garment, a robe, (and continue to wear it all through the Easter season) What a beautiful outward sign and witness to the glory in our souls.
I can think of at least three more paragraphs on this subject but I will save it for another day.
God, help us to share the good news candidly, with purity and a glow.

No comments:
Post a Comment