Friday, March 06, 2009

Something Fishy

Today I added an Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus “Ozelot”) to my new aquarium. Neither I nor the attendant who fished it out of the tank at the store noticed that it had a stowaway on board. Not until I arrived home and planted the sword in the stone (aquarium stones) did I notice the little plecostomus hanging out at the bottom of the aquarium bag. He must have been sucking on a leaf when his lunch was picked up with him still on it.  I fear my tank is rather small for such a fish as this but I will see how he does. My mother seems to think he will stay small because he is in a small tank (like gold fish do) but I can’t find any websites that confirm this theory.

 Now I understand why the lady at the checkout looked at me funny. She asked somewhat quizzically, “Is that a fish or a plant?” Unaware of the fish and somewhat surprised at her ignorance of the difference between a fish and a plant I informed her that was in fact a plant. She continued to look at me with amazement and I continued to wonder at her ignorance. My mistake! My mistake!

What should I name the plecostomus; Arthur, Merlin or Excalibur? Other suggestions?


No comments: