Wednesday, March 25, 2009

And it came to pass...

As you might know I do enjoy etymology or the study of the history of words and their meanings. Words are like puzzles and when they are unlocked a treasure spreads out before you.  Idioms play into this game too. Where did they come from? What was their original context?
"And it came to pass..." might not be an idiom properly speaking but it is an interesting set of words to ponder. They might even cause me to chuckle. I imagine myself as "it" and I imagine myself walking up to something for the sole purpose of passing. It (myself in this case) seems absurdly funny.
Do things come only "to pass"? Is there anything whose coming does not have a higher purpose then "to pass". Is passing a cause to mourn or rejoice? 
Silly words!

Happy Solemnity of the Annunciation of Our Lord. May Mary's "fiat"be on our lips today and every day.

No comments: