Saturday, May 16, 2009

First week of class

I have completed my first week of graduate school(sigh- of relief)

My first class is concerning computers and various ways of sharing information by computers. For this week we have been exploring how networks work, server/client relationships and practicing File Transfer Protocol or FTP.  In normal speech, I am able to use my computer at home to tap into the schools big computer. I can access a file created for me upon enrollment for my use where I can store documents.  This "space" on the schools server(computer) is also capable of hosting a student webpage. (stay tuned)

I didn't know what was going on for the first four days partly because my terms were not defined and partly because I am using a Mac and it's operating system and the teacher is teaching from the Windows operating system. The visual correspondence between what he did and what I was trying to do wasn't there.I am very grateful to the computer genius next to me who already knows all this stuff and is also a Mac user. He kindly showed me how to do everything I needed to do. As for defining the terms I have discovered that while I have heard words like server, http, and ethernet before I didn't have a solid understanding of what they were. Still, I don't understand all the terms used in my class well enough to teach them but I hope to with time and practice.

Someone in my class pointed out this very cool post on a blog explaining how to embed things like video into your blog. I was very happy to learn this. The example video they embedded is kinda creepy in a conspiracy theory sort of way.

1 comment:

Schnecke said...

Did you notice that the very cool Google post was produced in Ulm, Germany?
I like your Web site.
Schnecke