Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Lorenz
I’ve finished reading a delightful book about animal behavior titled King Solomon’s Ring by Konrad Z Lorenz. I liked it so much I went looking for another and lo and behold in the library I found The Year of the Greylag Goose. Have any of my readers read his other works? He was awarded the Nobel Prize but Wikipedia also reports that he was a member of the Nazi party for a time. This factoid was disturbing to me because I consider myself a discerning reader. I didn’t pick up on anything off in the book I read, but then again maybe he was not influenced much, as Wikipedia also suggests, by the Nazi party. He wouldn’t have been the first smart and idealistic person to be swept up by erroneous ideas that lead to ruin. After reading his insightful observations and funny anecdotes it is hard for me to believe he could condone any of the human rights atrocities that the Nazis were guilty of committing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment